If you're reading the intro to this post, thank you. Before you jump to the list of journal prompts for anxiety, let me tell you how I've chosen them.
I have experienced severe states of depression, burnout, and anxiety in my life. And, from these three I can say without a doubt, that I hated anxiety the most.
At least talking about my sadness or how strained I felt helped me a bit. It helped me to connect with people and also ease the pain. But, anxiety... It was something that made me feel powerless and so out of control. Talking about it only brought back those horrible experiences in my body.
I read other blog posts while preparing for this one and they had prompts that talked about anxiety. I disagree with that approach because I know it would never help me.
What helped me kick anxiety to the curb and finally breathe was gaining confidence and knowing that no one could have control over me, no one could ruin my life. Anxiety left me when I did what helped me feel calm, comfortable, and at ease.
So today, I will give you prompts that will help you feel lighter, focus on what makes you smile, what soothes your heart, and where you feel free.
I also recommend you take my free 21-Day Self-Love Course. It is full of the lessons I've learned to overcome those evading sensations and thoughts that anxiety and depression bring. It will also have affirmations and journal prompts every day.
And now, let's head to our prompts. Know this, my friend, you are more than capable of being free from anxiety. You deserve to feel happy, light, carefree, and confident. I pray that you feel better really soon.
Journal Prompts for Easing Anxiety
- Describe a place where you feel completely at ease. What does it look like? What do you like about it?
- Reflect on a recent moment when you felt genuinely calm and comfortable. What were you doing, and what contributed to that feeling?
- What are three things that always make you smile?
- List five things that bring you a sense of peace and serenity.
- What did you love to do as a child? How can you bring more of that into your life?
- What is your favorite part about nature?
- Write about someone who you love to spend time with.
- Write three things, big or small, that you achieved yesterday.
- If you could be any animal for a day, which one would you choose and why?
- What are the 5 things that your past self would love about your current self?
- Imagine you have a time machine. Which era or time period would you travel to, and what would you do there?
- What is something you're really good at doing?
- Write the words that you need to hear someone else say to you.
- List three things that you like about yourself.
- Imagine you have a magic wand that can make one wish come true. What would you wish for?
- Imagine going on a dream vacation! Which country would you love to explore and what's so exciting about it?
- What do you do when you want to rest your mind?
- How are you feeling? Write about what you need in your life today.
- Write about something that makes you feel happy these days.
- Write about 5 blessings of the world that you thankful for and how they enrich your life.
- Look around you and write three things you're grateful for.
- Write a letter to your childhood self offering comfort and advice.
- Take deep breaths for a few minutes and write about how it makes you feel.
- Describe a small beautiful moment that happened yesterday.
- What is your idea of a happy life?
- Write a thank you note to yourself.
- Write about a skill you are learning or would love to learn.
- What do you want most in your life right now?
- Write about 3 things that help you stay clean and fresh.
- Describe a hobby or activity that you enjoy and what you like about it.
- Talk about the people, animals, plants, or things in your life that make you feel safe and loved.
- Describe a recent time when you truly felt at peace.
- Write about a place you want to visit again.
- Write about a series or movie that you've been loving recently.
- What are you grateful for today?
- What is one thing that you can do today to take care of yourself?
- Express gratitude for an activity that helps you calm down.
- Imagine you are free from anxiety forever. How would you feel? What would you do?
- Write about someone you’ve never met but who has enriched your life in some way.
- When did someone smile or laugh because of you? How did that make you feel?
- Write three affirmations for today.
- Which is your favorite weather, and why?
- Write about a song that you are singing along to these days.
- What is your favorite thing to do in the morning?
- Write about one positive thing that happened to you today.
- Write about a song that always comforts you.
- Describe one beautiful moment in your life that you’ll never forget.
- What is one thing you wish other people knew about you?
- What do you think is your biggest personal success?
- Write about the things that make you feel the most energized.
- What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself in the past year?
- What are you most looking forward to this week?
- What is the funniest thing you've seen recently?
- Think about your friends for a moment and feel grateful for the ways they enrich your life.
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be, and why?
- Express gratitude for how you've grown and developed through the years.
- What is something that you are looking forward to in your life?
- Take a moment to appreciate a fond memory that always brings a smile to your face.
- Reflect through the week and write about moments that made you happy.
- Choose one person to say thanks to today. Write about why you are thankful to them.
- What part of your life has changed for the better in the past year?
- Write 5 things that your past self would love about you.
- What is your favorite part of your daily routine?
- In times of sadness, what do you turn to for feeling better?
- What are your favorite things to eat?
- List 3 good things you have now that you didn’t have a year ago.
- What is a strong life value for you?
- What is one life lesson that you will always hold on to?
- Write about a time when you felt proud of yourself.
- What is one part of your life that you won't trade for anything?
- What is something that was hard to do but you did it anyway?
- Write about a person who helped you through a tough situation.
- What is something that you can easily do today that people 30 years ago couldn't?
- List 3 things that help you feel cozy and comfortable.
- Describe yourself in five positive words.
- Write about a time when you visited a new place and how it felt.
Continue Reading: 100+ Self-Care Journal Prompts for Healing and Reflection